Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Just a guy who made a museum



I'm sitting on my bed in my dorm-ish room waiting for the torrential downpour to stop so I can run to the gym. I'm developing a real appreciation for this warm weather rain. Its so refreshing and it smells so good!

So, to pass the time, I'm blogging!

Along the Rio Grande between Taos and Santa Fe sits a self-made "Museum". It was a great find, and I have to say, it was all thanks to Deana's talent at zeroing in on something she wants to photograph and pulling over in under 2 seconds. This is sometimes frightening - other times its worth it.

This guy collects old gas stuff. Signs, advertisements, actual gas pumps, gas cans, you get the picture. He's really into it. And I have to say, its so much more interesting than the typical art museum. This dude made gas 'culture' aesthetically fascinating by virtue of collecting.

Two lessons here:

1. You can do really anything with your crazy passion, especially in Northern New Mexico
2. Everything works better in a series!! :)

Course Deana had a point when she said, "Yeah but he's probably single... Do you think a woman would put up with this?" She has a point. But anything is possible in the desert.









2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wonderful! Crazy desert men! Was this also his home or just his museum? Did he charge an entrance fee?

Julie Sea said...

There was an inconspicuous house right next door - which i think he lived in. And no entrance fee! I have no idea how he made money. The only collection box was for some nearby SPCA.