Monday, June 20, 2011

Some grid based patriotic drawings


Something I'm exploring here is complicating or developing or modifying the Tracing series.

I've started thinking about grid based designs, geometric designs and what types of patterns hold significance. I started with plaid.

First I had to figure out how plaid is even constructed. Its a very basic weave, fyi, with a ton of potential variations. There's definitely "downhome" associations around it. American. Country. But also Scottish and, like, old.

I'm limiting myself to red white and blue for the patriotic effect.

BASIC plaid pattern (in colored pencil)


Slightly more complicated (more colors and using blue acrylic paint)


Then for experimentation sake - I'm looking at other blues and reds, and other geometric patterns:

Combination "Stairway to Heaven" Amish design and 6 pointed stars (in acrylic paint). Seriously who knew these two patterns had this same basic grid! The brilliant Amish, for one!

neat, eh?





And here are some tests for red drawings with an extra layer geometric patterning.



I really like the one above and will probably move forward with it. Its almost like an old fashioned sampler, testing out different geometric patterns.


I think it works better because it uses the 'decorativeness' as more of an expression, rather than an allover design.


Also, I must have listened to this song 10 times while making this last drawing especially. I think it helped. Here's a link: http://soundcloud.com/my-morning-jacket/outta-my-system





3 comments:

Julie Sea said...

Oh and also it just started raining! Monsoon season!

stacyt said...

i second the 'decorative' sample pattern.

roshniesque said...

i like the amish-patriotic-mcesher pattern