Friday, June 10, 2011

Possibly an Interesting Night Routine

Here I am sitting on the table in our library here at SFAI making my way through important modern painters. I think its ok to sit on the table if you're in your PJs and there's no one around and you live in the building





Tonight I read through an early catalog on Jennifer Bartlett. She went to Mills, remember? I forgot that until tonight, too. She painted things over and over again in different ways. She was really into working. She also went to Yale. Surprise surprise. This is a b/w installation of her multi colored pointillist influenced 12"x12" panels. Looks like they told some kind of visual story all through the pretty large NYC gallery. This is the early 70s. Its pretty cool. and a lot of work. But she was just working through painter stuff, in an honest and pretty time consuming way. Then she morphed into a more realistic painter, but still totally smart and considered.





I actually also remembered tonight that R McDonald told me to look at one particular series of Jennifer Bartlett's because it was similar to a painting I made that she liked. Really, it was a similarity of subject matter:

Above, a print from Bartlett's series, In The Garden. She painted a bunch of different angles of this statue on the edge of a pool



Above, A very old painting of mine



Tomorrow night maybe I'll get into AMERICAN PAINTING: THE EIGHTIES (So important it has to be IN CAPITALS). Or the huge Sigmar Polke/ Gerhard Richter catalog!!!


Or that awesome photography monograph on coal mine structures...

I mean really, what else am I going to do at 1am?



2 comments:

stacyt said...

how you make me jealous!

Rachel said...

you are a holy roller of total awesomeness Julie!